A year of Poverty, Painting and Food: Twelve years in catering over, my aim is to paint full time. Stu, my other half, is stuck as a chef feeding the x-thousand over an Edinburgh winter. His cooking tips and budgeting are propelling us through the year on a tenner a day, while I paint.. No comparison to Pablo's talent; I have just named my blog after the Paris studio where he suffered the twin purgatory of poverty and artistic ambition on the cusp.. I am emerging!

Wednesday 23 March 2011

A day in reverse

One of the strangest shift combinations we have yet achieved, and we saved it for our last week; Stu on a backshift, 4pm - finish and me on an early newspaper shift, 7am - 11am. So that was me up, breakfasted, walk through sleepy Morningside, worked my wee four hour shift and back home to Stu freshly breakfasted and doing the washing. Then we had a bit of a day before he was off for his 'few hours in hell' as so eloquently put. Then I went back to bed.
Woke again early evening with that totally disoriented feeling, guilt playing in the back of my mind which is probably just auto-pilot from when I regularly slept away portions of the day because I was in a bad place. One of the great things about that happening is the slow dawning that this is a weird time to be waking, but no sinister overtones are at play and no-one else is any the wiser anyway; still plenty of time to sort out paperwork and do some painting before our regulation midnight feast. I am sure it should be bad for me to eat in the early hours of the morning; certainly pretty much every celeb. diet tells me so, but it never seems to do me any harm. Maybe my metabolism will be confused when I switch to 'normal' eating patterns?

Finished my 'playlist' for the gallery/cafe; using 72 of our finest albums suited to the purpose of creating ambiance with some interest. Now I shall listen to it on random for the next few days to iron out any glaring mistakes; there are bound to be at least a couple of tracks that just don't go or contain a random audible swear word or two; I used to find it funny when it was someone else's restaurant but in truly hypocritical fashion I feel I should be careful with my own. Managed a blinder the other week while in the gallery talking to a customer, ipod playing happily to itself, when a sneaky 'fucking' popped out twice in a track which I was sure was perfectly innocent. OOps. Now to sort my head out again, figure out what time of day it is and get on with the appropriate behaviour...
The pic is one of my mum's sketches; she does some lovely wee drawings.

No comments:

Post a Comment