A year of Poverty, Painting and Food: Twelve years in catering over, my aim is to paint full time. Stu, my other half, is stuck as a chef feeding the x-thousand over an Edinburgh winter. His cooking tips and budgeting are propelling us through the year on a tenner a day, while I paint.. No comparison to Pablo's talent; I have just named my blog after the Paris studio where he suffered the twin purgatory of poverty and artistic ambition on the cusp.. I am emerging!

Sunday 18 July 2010

But then there's Serotonin

Awoke to the sound of Twig the wonder kit up to one of her waking tactics; these are a collection of strange behaviours entirely devised to prevent me from having a lie in, which she has honed devilishly in the year of her existence. Today involved shredding the magazine by my bed, after a bout of duvet scratching; other techniques include keyboard 'typing', sneaking into bed and biting bits of me oh so gently, dropping toys on me, batting the alarm clock onto the floor... any cat owners will be nodding sagely no doubt. No-one told me that a kitten was like having an actual baby, albeit without the nursing and nappies; all my previous experience is of rescue cats of a certain age who have passed troublesome adolescence.
Always flattering to be copied; opened my (big treat) girl magazine to find a Dior/Galliano catwalk shot that surprisingly closely resembles my painting 'Suki's Rubicon' - same girl, same hairstyle, same loud dress... I guess I can add 'Style Oracle' to my C.V. now.

Despite the morning wakening and having to work I was back to my normal cheery self today; indeed positively bouncing. Looks like the blues of yesterday were a burst of stress as I thought - it is a definate improvement when a stressful day stands out as an anomaly. There is something to be said for this streamlined lifestyle; it is also doing great things for my apalling maths, as I am forced to actually add up my shopping as I go so as not to have to return things at the end. Scored a fab king prawn and avocado sandwich on reduction for lunch and it felt so damn decadent! Just been out raiding the herb bed for dinner tonight as we are going for a traditional Sunday tea of roast chicken, but I am eschewing the roast veg for a more summery salad and potato salad; greek yoghurt, lots of herbs... can't beat it.

Spent my morning work hours doodling on receipts and had a particularly fruitful time with some new patterns, (one pinched off a customer's dress) angel compostions and some new angels who are based on a kind of a cross between 1970s 'batwing' tops and flying foxes; its a good look believe it or not. Also realised that there is mileage in using the technique I used for trees in the last two paintings on flowers like Alliums; there were some lovely big blue/violet ones in the shop and they must be useful for a picture.
That's it! I'm a happy camper and I'm off to do small-board versions of some of my doodles before the impetus leaves me. It's a toasty day again for once, so maybe a snooze is on the cards first if the kit will let me; but then there are picture to be emailed, new website to be completed..

No comments:

Post a Comment